log in


Current Students & Visas:

Students come from all over the world to join Strathclyde, for anyone outside the European Union this will mean that they have a visa to be able to study here.


If you need support with anything related to your visa or a new visa you would like to apply for The Advice Hub cannot help you, our advisers do not have the training or qualifications to assist or advice you.  If you need help with visas the staff at the University’s Advice Centre can help you and they run weekly drop in session (Thursday 10am-12noon) that you can attend or you can email them on the Tier 4 visa email address.


Graduating Students & Visas:

As a student you will have had a Tier 4 visa.  There are a number of visas options available to you after you student visa ends, however please be aware that you often need to apply for these in advance of your visa ending and while you are still a current student.  Please seek clarification and information from the University’s Advice Centre


Tier 1 - Graduate entrepreneur

The Tier 1 Graduate Entrepreneur visa scheme will enable successful applicants to remain in the UK to set up in business for a maximum period of 2 years.   You can find out more about this visa here.


Tier 2 - General  Visas

This type of visa is offered to people who have been offered skilled work with a salary of £20,800 or more and are sponsored by a licensed sponsor.  Find out more here.

Tier 4 - Doctorate Extension Scheme

PhD and other doctoral level students can apply for a 12 month visa extension under the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme to look for skilled work in the UK either on an employed or self-employed basis.  You will need to be sponsored by the University to apply under this scheme so speak to The Advice Centre, in the meantime you can read more about it here.

Tier 5 - Temporary Visa

If you do not have a job offer from a Tier 2 sponsor but have managed to find a short work placement or internship after your studies you may be able to stay to do this under Tier 5 for a maximum period of 12 months.  Learn more about Tier 5 visas here.


An international student’s visa will make it clear if they have a right to work or not.  Most are allowed to work but the number of hours they can work is restricted to 10 or 20.  The limit is normally printed on their visa sticker or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).  More information is available here.
If the student you are about to employ is coming to the end of their studies you can find out more information about the type of visa they will need here.
Additionally as part of his 2015-16 Objectives our Vice President Diversity Raj Jeyaraj will be producing a guide to potential employers of international students so check back during the year for more information!

  • Sorry!
  • No current events :(
  • ...
  • But check soon!


The Nido Collection

First Group

USSA, 90 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JH, The University of Strathclyde Students' Association is a charity registered in Scotland, No:SCO05914