log in


Being a student can be stressful enough, being a student parent can be even worse.  Trying to organise childcare can be tricky so we've put together some information that will hopefully come in handy if you are having problems with childcare.  If you need more help or have a specific question just get in touch and we'll see what we can do for you.


Support from your funding body:

Independent Students’ Bursary:

This £750 bursary is available to Scottish students who are deemed independent before starting their course.  Examples of SAAS’s definition of independent include if you have a child or children who normally lives with you.  The bursary is for general living costs and is only awarded to people whose income is below £17,000 a year.  The bursary does not have to be paid back.

Lone Parents’ Grant:

This grant is provided by SAAS and available to Scottish students.  It is income-assessed and for single, widowed, divorced, separated or your civil partnership has dissolved, leaving you to bring up your child/children on your own. The maximum grant is £1,305 for those on lower incomes.

Childcare Grant:

For home students from outside Scotland, this grant provides up to £150.23 a week for one child and £257.55 a week for two or more children for childcare for children under 15 or under 17 if they have special educational needs.

Support from the University: 

Childcare Fund:

This fund is only available to full-time undergraduates, PGDE students or postgard students in receipt of a SAAS tuition fee load from Scotland to help with registered childcare in Scotland.  To be eligible you will have to have applied for the full means tested student loan.  The amount you will receive is means tested and you are likely to only receive a contribution towards the cost of childcare.  This fund is accessed through the University Student Finance Office but you can also collect forms from The Advice Hub or download them.  Remember that childcare can include breakfast clubs and afterschool clubs.

If you are not eligible for the Childcare fund because you are a part-time student or your childcare isn’t formal you can still apply for help but you need to do it through the Discretionary Fund.

Lone Parent Childcare Grant:

Students must be in receipt of the Lone Parent Grant from SAAS to be eligible for the Lone Parent Childcare Grant and it is a non-income assessed grant available to all eligible students who are loan parents and who have formal registered childcare costs while studying. If you think you can apply for this grant contact the Student Financial Support Team for an application form.


Extra financial support:

Child Tax Credits: 

If you have a child/children under 16 or a child/children between 16-19 in full-time non-advanced education, you could be entitled to child tax credits.  The amount will depend on your circumstances but you could be entitled some extra cash and, if you qualify for this maximum amount, your children may also be entitled to free school meals.  Additional support is available through Child Tax Credits if you or your child has a disability.

  • Sorry!
  • No current events :(
  • ...
  • But check soon!

First Group


The Nido Collection

USSA, 90 John Street, Glasgow, G1 1JH, The University of Strathclyde Students' Association is a charity registered in Scotland, No:SCO05914